Added to 5 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 9640 times
Saffron khichdi is a simple gruel of a lentil and rice which can be made by cooking rice , lentils in a saffron soaked water. The delectable saffron or kesar khichdi is appealing in looks and tastes delicious with crushed nuts and almond flakes as garnishing.
- Heat ghee and sauté the almonds and currants till the almonds are medium brown remove from flame and keep aside, reserve ghee.
- Sauté onions in the ghee, until crisp and brown, keep aside, reserve ghee.
- In a saucepan, take 2/3 cup water and rice, half cook the rice.
- Pressure cook the dal, half cooked, add the dal to rice.
- Add saffron, coconut milk, half the almonds and currants, fried onions, green chillies, ginger paste, cloves, cinnamon, salt as per taste and the reserved ghee, mixed thoroughly and cover.
- Bring to the boil and simmer till rice and dal are cooked, stir the khichadi with a fork and leave on a very slow heat for 5 more minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with remaining almonds and currants.
This recipe was contributed by falgunithakker on 20 Feb 2003
Know more about this member, Click Here
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.