Osaman recipe | Gujarati Osaman dal | thin healthy toor dal | Pigeon pea soup |
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 112 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 95426 times
Osaman recipe | Gujarati Osaman dal | thin healthy toor dal | with 30 amazing images.
Osaman recipe is a traditional thin Gujarati dal. Learn to make thin healthy toor dal.
Osaman is a hot, liquid recipe akin to rasam, but not so spicy! The use of toovar dal water imparts a very comforting feel to this Gujarati Osaman dal.
Osaman is a Gujarati dish made from arhar dal which has a thin soup-like consistency. In some parts of the world Osaman is called pigeon pea soup and consumed as a hot soothing winter Osaman soup.
Need a thin sweet and sour dal, then try Osaman. The dal is sweetened with jaggery and the sourness comes from kokum.
Gujarati Osaman dal is traditionally made on the sweeter side.
At home, we love to have Osaman on Sunday with some roti and rice. My elderly parents love this comfort Osaman soup and have it when feeling a little sick.
Tips for Osaman. 1. You can increase or decrease the amount of jaggery ( gur) based on how sweet you want the Osaman. 2. See the thin watery consistency of the cooked toor dal for making Osaman. 3. Kokum provides a nice sour taste to Osaman and you can adjust the amount of kokum used based on the sourness you want.
Enjoy Osaman recipe | Gujarati Osaman dal | thin healthy toor dal | with step by step photos.
- To make osaman, wash the dal, add 4 cups of water and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Blend till smooth using an electric hand blender, add 2 cups of water and mix well.
- Heat the ghee in a deep pan and add the cloves, cinnamon, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and sauté for 5 seconds.
- Add the asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté for 15 seconds.
- Add the cooked and blended toovar dal liquid, ginger green chilli paste, turmeric powder, chilli powder, kokum, jaggery and salt and pepper, mix well and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally in between.
- Serve osaman hot garnished with coriander.
Osaman ( Gujarati Recipe) recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.