Gatte ka Pulao, Rajasthani Gatte Ka Pulao
by Tarla Dalal
गट्टे का पुलाव
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Gatte ka Pulao, Rajasthani Gatte Ka Pulao in Hindi)
Added to 350 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 193798 times
Bengal gram is abundantly used in Rajasthani cooking because it grows in plenty in the arid desert conditions. Besan made from Bengal gram is used to make rotis, gatta, mithai and also as a thickening agent for kadhi .
Gatte ka Pulao is made on festive occasions when plain steamed rice is not served. As vegetables are not available throughout the year, cooked gattas are added to spice up this pulao, which is usually served with kadhi or plain curds .
- Combine all the ingredients for the gattas in a deep bowl and knead into a stiff dough using approx. 2 tbsp of water.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal portions and shape each portion into a 200 mm. (8") long cylindrical roll.
- Place them on a greased steamer plate and steam them in a steamer for 7 minutes.
- Cool slightly, cut the gattas into 9 equal pieces and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai, deep-fry the gatta pieces till they turn light brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cardamom, cloves, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the prepared paste and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and garam masala, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked rice, deep-fried gattas, and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the deep-fried onions and mix well.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.