Sambar ( Sambhar, Idlis and Dosas)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 1542 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 724404 times
Like idlis and dosas, Sambhar is also an all-time favourite that is almost synonymous with South Indian food! From the smallest roadside hotel to the classiest Indian restaurants around the globe, ‘idli, Vada, Sambhar’ is a very popular breakfast combo!
So, here is how to make the perfect Sambhar to match the perfect Idlis / Dosas / Appe . Loaded with vegetables and dal, this flavourful side-dish is very sumptuous and tasty, leaving no doubt about why it is so popular.
You can relish it not just with the innumerable South Indian snacks and Breakfast dishes, but also with a plain bowl of hot rice topped with a dollop of ghee or laced with til oil.
The best part about Sambhar is that, while it tastes best when hot, it is quite enjoyable even after a few hours, so it can be carried to work, or prepared in advance on a busy day.
- Combine all the ingredients in a small non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely, once cooled blend in a mixer to a smooth powder. Keep aside.
- Combine the toovar dal, turmeric powder, asafoetida and 1½ cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Whisk the dal well.
- Combine the whisked dal, vegetables, salt and 1½ cups of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 20 to 25 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the tamarind pulp, 1 cup of water and the prepared sambhar masala, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan ,add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and red chillies and saute on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add this tempering to the prepared sambhar and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.