Pudina Chaas, Mint Chaas Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Pudina Chaas, Mint Chaas Recipe in Hindi)
Added to 135 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 60186 times
pudina chaas recipe | cool mint buttermilk drink | healthy mint chaas | South Indian style pudina chaas | with 14 amazing images.
pudina chaas is a refreshing buttermilk (chaas) perked up with assorted ingredients like mint leaves and jeera powder that will cool you in summer. This is a healthy mint chaas as it is made mainly from curd and pudina.
South Indian style pudina chaas is a traditional cooler in Southern India, especially Tamil Nadu, where it is left to cool in earthen pots that add a unique aroma to it. To make cool mint buttermilk drink all you need to do is grind mint with little water in a small mixing jar. Further, in a deep bowl take curd, whisk using a whisk. Add mint paste. Next, add black salt which not only tastes amazing but also, adds minerals and helps in relieving stomach issues. Add cumin powder and salt and whisk well. Lastly, add 1 cup of chilled water and blend well using a hand blender. You can even use a wired whisk to make frothy pudina chaas.
This is a thick pudina chaas, if you want a thin, liquidy pudina chaas then increase the quantity of water. Serve mint buttermilk drink immediately.
pudina chaas is not only enjoyed by the family, but also offered to guests in the summer. Some charitable organisations also set up small sheds with pots full of herbed buttermilk, for people who work in the hot sun to refresh themselves with.
Have a glass of this soothing pudina chaas before you leave outdoors or as soon as you come back to avoid a sunstroke. As a variant, you can try adding other ingredients like crushed curry leaves, ginger powder and lemon juice to the chaas.
Panha and Muskmelon Drink with Cardamom are other refreshing drinks for summer.
Enjoy pudina chaas recipe | cool mint buttermilk drink | healthy mint chaas | South Indian style pudina chaas | with detailed step by step photos and video below.
- To make pudina chaas, combine the mint leaves and 2 tbsp of water in a mixer and blend to a coarse paste.
- Combine the mint paste, curds, black salt, cumin seeds powder, salt and 1 cup of chilled water in a deep bowl and blend well using a hand blender.
- Pour equal quantities of the pudina chaas into 2 individual glasses and serve immediately.
Pudina Chaas Video by Tarla Dalal
Pudina Chaas, Mint Chaas Recipe recipe with step by step photos
To make pudina chaas recipe | cool mint buttermilk drink | healthy mint chaas | South Indian style pudina chaas | firstly take one fresh bunch of mint leaves. While buying the phudina, ensure the mint leaves are bright green, perky and even-coloured, not at all wilting. The pudina should have a distinct aroma.
- Wash the mint bunch and strip leaves off the stalks and remove them in a plate.
- Roughly chop the leaves to make it easier for blending. Chop it just before blending or else the leaves will turn black on oxidation. One bunch gives around 2 cups of mint leaves, the extra mint leaves need not be chopped, you can cover the leaves in a damp paper towel and transfer into a plastic bag & refrigerate it.
- In a mixer jar, take the mint leaves. Mint leaves not only aid in digestion but also, act as an appetite stimulant and aids in the secretion of gastric juices.
- Add 2 tbsp of water and blend to a coarse paste. Keep aside.
- In a deep bowl, take thick curds. To learn how to make fresh dahi at home, refer our recipe for homemade curd.
- Whisk well so, the curd is lump-free and smooth.
- Add the mint paste to the whisked curds.
- Combine the mint paste and curds. Whisk well. Curd and mint both aid in digestion & act as a coolant.
- Add the black salt. Sanchal not only tastes amazing but also, adds minerals and helps in relieving stomach issues.
- Furthermore, add the cumin seeds powder and salt.
- Using a wired whisk, mix everything well to get a uniform mixture.
- Add 1 cup of chilled water and blend well using a hand blender. You can even use a wired whisk to make frothy phudina chaas. This is a thick minty chaas, if you want a thin, liquidy chaas then increase the quantity of water.
Pour the pudina chaas | cool mint buttermilk drink | healthy mint chaas | South Indian style pudina chaas | into a glass. This recipe makes 2 large glasses of phudina chaas. You can easily double or triple the recipe as per your requirement.
You can garnish pudina chaas | cool mint buttermilk drink | healthy mint chaas | South Indian style pudina chaas | with a sprig of mint to make it look more appetizing. If not drinking immediately, refrigerate till serving.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per glass
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.