by Tarla Dalal
Added to 364 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 178851 times
Sweet and sour, salt and spice, every experience needs to be coupled with a complementary, often contrasting experience in order to bring out the best of both. Likewise, a chaat platter must be finished off with a rich dessert in order to complete the enjoyment. And, what better mithai can you choose than our ever-popular Gulab Jamun! This recipe tells you how to make authentic Gulab Jamun, not with any readymade mixes, but with special hariyali mava, which gives the traditional sweet its rich mouth-feel and intense flavour.
- Combine the sugar and 1 ½ cups of water in a deep pan and cook on a medium flame for 7 to 8 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Simmer on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till the syrup is of one string consistency.
- Remove any impurities which float on top of the syrup using a slotted spoon.
- Add the saffron and keep the syrup warm.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead very well into a very smooth dough.
- Divide this mixture into 30 equal portions and roll each into round balls, there should have no cracks on the surface as otherwise the gulab jamuns will crack while deep-frying.
- Heat the ghee in a non-stick kadhai and deep-fry a few jamuns on a slow flame till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Drain and immerse in the warm sugar syrup. Soak for 1 hour.
- Serve immediately or serve warm.
- Hariali mava is a special kind of mava used to make gulab jamuns.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per gulab jamun
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.