When used in baking, flour contributes body and structure, texture and flavour to the product. It binds the ingredients together and supports the batter.
• Flour is often used as a coating for foods that are fried. Flour-coated food develops a crisp, flavourful crust, and an interior that is tender and juicy.
• It is also used for a wide range of other purposes, from thickening sauces to baking breads, cakes, pizzas and a whole range of flour based Indian and international sweets.
• Plain flour dough is used to make unleavened Indian breads like naan, puri, paratha and chappathi.
• It can also be used to thicken sauces, creams and pie fillings.
• Plain flour is also used to dusk cake pans and counters to prevent batters and bread dough from sticking to surfaces.
• Flour can also be used to coat fruits and nuts before adding to batters, thus preventing them from sinking to the bottom of the pan when baked.How to Store plain flour, maida, all purpose flour
• Flour is best kept in a cool, dry, dark place in a food grade, breathable jar. Plain flour can be preserved better in just breathable containers than in air-tight ones.
• Warm, damp conditions cause the flour to become caked and packed, and also encourage the growth of microorganisms, causing the flour to spoil. So, always store in a dry container in a dry place.
• Flour readily absorbs odours and moisture. So, care should be taken to ensure flour products are stored away from onions and other goods with strong odours.
• If properly stored, flour can be preserved for up to eight months. To preserve it even longer, store the flour tightly-wrapped in a refrigerator.
• Throw away the flour if you detect any bad smell or infestation by weevils.
• Put a bay leaf in the flour canister to help protect against insect infections. Bay leaves are natural insect repellents.Health Benefits of plain flour, maida, all purpose flour! is it healthy?
Maida (plain flour) which is refined carb not suitable for healthy lifestyle. Maida consumption in any food should be totally avoided or use in very small quantities as any consumption of this will cause a larger spike in blood sugar levels which is not good for diabetics
, heart patients
. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Read is maida good for you
to understand fully.