Viewed 33853 times
Also Known as
Kalonji, onion seeds
Black Seed appropriately known as the "seed of blessing" is considered to be one of the greatest healing herbs of all times. Kalonji, which may also be called nigella, refers to small black seeds grown on Kalonji bushes, which are grown widely through India. Kalonji is both flavoring, added to a variety of traditional foods, and an herbal remedy that has been touted as the magic bullet for a variety of ailments. Kalonji seeds are about the same size as sesame seeds, though they have a more triangular instead of oval shape.
How to Select
Select uniform sized, jet black seeds. They are readily accessible in grocery stores.
· In foods, you'll find kalonji seeds in a variety of recipes.
· Having an elegant shape and jet black colour also makes it a popular decorative spice for tossing onto breads (such as naan) and savoury biscuits or pastries, as well as over salads.
· They may be added to any type of curry or stew, and to dal. Lovers of these little black seeds praise their nutlike, somewhat peppery taste.
· To make this taste most evident, kalonji may be prepared first by being roasted in a pan.
· Nigella is an essential ingredient in the Bengal mix of five whole spice seeds known as panch phora or panch puran. Added to cooking oil, the seeds impart a distinctive flavour.
· Nigella is also used for sprinkling over the popular bread, naan, and in rice and some curries.
How to Store
Nigella seeds are best stored in an air tight container. Keep away from moisture. It is good to purchase in small amounts and buy as required, to retain its aroma and flavour.
· Nigella and melatin are two ingredients in Black Seed that contribute greatly to its highly diversified powers. These substances work together to provide the digestive benefits that have been revered in Black Seed. They also promote cleansing and assist with overall eliminating action.
· Nigella seeds helps fight against respiratory ailments.
· It also acts as an antihistamine which helps to reduce the negative symptoms of allergy sufferers.
· It is also a strong anti-oxidant and helps cleanse the body of toxins.
· Black seed provides a rich supply of polyunsaturated fatty acids. These ingredients play a key role in daily health and wellness. They help to regulate the metabolism, balance insulin levels, regulate cholesterol, improve body circulation, and promote healthy liver function.
· Mix a teaspoon of Black seed oil in boiling water and inhale the vapor twice a day. A remedy to relieve nasal congestion.
· Vomiting: Take ½ teaspoon of fresh ginger juice mix with equal amount of kalonji seeds powder, twice a day.
· Worms of the Stomach: Mix 1 spoon vinegar with half teaspoon kalonji seeds powder twice daily before breakfast afternoon & night for 10 days & avoid sweets