Brown sugar is made by coating crystals of sucrose with molasses. A small percentage of invert sugar may be present. The molasses gives it a delicate flavour and delicious aroma. It has a moist texture with large, clear sparkling crystals. Brown sugar contains from 3.5% molasses (light brown sugar) to 6.5% molasses (dark brown sugar). Light and dark are the two most common styles of brown sugar. In general, the lighter the brown sugar, the more delicate the flavor. Very dark or old-fashioned brown sugar has a more intense molasses flavor.
Named after the Demerara area of Guyana, the coarse-grained demerara sugar is brown, partially refined raw sugar containing some residual impurities. The colour of demerara sugar varies from golden brown to dark brown, with a strong dark molasses flavour.
How to Select
Sugar is available in a variety of types. Choose the appropriate one as desired. Check the packaging date and ensure that it is dry and has no moisture. Its free movement and dry granules best tells about its quality and freshness
· Demerara sugar can be used to sweeten and flavour various hot beverages, and it is used in fruit and berry desserts or in making candies and toffees.
· Depending on its colour, texture and depth of flavour, it can be used to replace granulated or soft brown sugar in many sweet and savoury dishes.
· Traditionally served to sweeten after-dinner coffee, also good sprinkled over cereals.
· Demerara sugar can be used in baking and is particularly good in recipes containing ginger or dried fruit.
· Brown Sugar can be substituted for white sugar, resulting in a more moist baked good providing a flavor with a hint of butterscotch.
· It is not advisable to substitute liquid or granulated brown sugar for soft Brown Sugar, since the moisture content of soft brown sugar is higher, providing a different texture in the baked goods than can be achieved using other types of Brown Sugar. When a recipe requires Brown Sugar, always use soft Brown Sugar and when measuring, always pack it down firmly in the measuring cup.
How to Store
If you store them in an airtight container in a cool, dry place, it will keep indefinitely. Transfer brown sugar that comes in a box to a heavy plastic bag or a rustproof, airtight container and seal well.
· It's less refined and hence nutritionally more good than regular sugar.