Potatoes in Goanese Gravy
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 47 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 45287 times
The liberal use of coconut and spices leaves you in no doubt that this is a Goanese creation! This delicacy from Goa features potatoes in a tongue-tickling gravy, which is both tangy and spicy. While the gravy gets its tanginess from tomato pulp, the pungency is derived from a special paste of onions, coconut and spices.
It is the special way of handling the onions that makes this Goanese gravy very different. The onions are first roasted whole, and then peeled and blended with the other ingredients. This gives a unique, intense flavour to the gravy, which complements the potatoes beautifully. Indeed, Potatoes in Goanese Gravy is a real peppy accompaniment for ladi pav .
- Roast the onions on an open flame till they turn black in colour. Cool, peel and discard the blackened/ charred layer and slice the onions. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the poppy seeds, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns, coriander seeds and red chillies, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Add the roasted and sliced onions and garlic and blend it in a mixer to a smooth paste, using ½ cup of water. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai , add the potatoes and sauté on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Add the prepared goanese paste, salt and 1 cup of water, mix well and cover with a lid and cook in a medium flame for 5 minutes or till the potatoes are completely cooked, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the fresh tomato pulp, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or laadi pav.
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.