How many calories does one serving of Basundi have?
Gujarati Basundi is a popular Indian dessert loved all over the country and has 336 calories per serving. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 107 calories, proteins account for 40 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 142 calories. One serving of Basundi provides about 17 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Click here to view. Basundi Recipe. Gujarati basundi is a rich and delicious Gujarati mishtan of thickened milk, very similar to the North Indian rabdi, it is basically just boiling the milk in a thick bottomed pan till the milk is reduced.
Almonds and pistachios add crunch to this rich, creamy basundi. Remember to keep scraping the sides of the vessel when cooking, as that will make the basundi thick and impart a real creamy texture.
Use a flat spoon to scrape the vessel as it is more convenient than a round spoon. gujarati basundi can be served warm or chilled and tastes amazing with piping hot, deep-fried puris and Undhiyu.
Come festivals like Raksha Bandhan, Janmashtami or Navratri, my father would start reducing the milk since 5 am for making basundi, so that the gas range would be free before my mother gets up and starts cooking the meal.
Twist the authentic Basundi sweet recipe and make innovative Pineapple Basundi with fruity flavor. To fasten the cooking process, you can even make basundi with condensed milk that will get ready quickly.
Aside from basundi, see our Gujarati sweet recipes like Golpapdi, Kopra Pak, Mohanthal.
Is Basundi healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why. No, this is a sweet you must enjoy once in a while. Basundi consists of milk and sugar. We suggest you cut the sugar quantity by a bit to make it healthier for you. This is a sweet you should indulge in once in a while.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Milk and Low Fat Milk : 1 cup of milk provides 70% of the Recommended Daily Allowance of Calcium. Milk promotes strong bones. The Calcium in Milk helps to protect your teeth against gum disease and keeps your jaw bone strong and healthy. Milk is low in carbs and therefore does not raise blood glucose levels. However diabetics must consider including low fat milk as advised by their dietitian only so as to avoid any fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Protein is another key nutrient which milk is rich in - 8.6 g from a cup. So all those looking to build protein stores can add milk and its products like curd and paneer to their diet. One cup of Milk gives 10 grams of carbs. Low fat milk has lower fat and the same benefits of milk.
2. Almonds (badam) : Almonds are rich in B complex vitamins such as Vitamin B1, Thiamine, Vitamin B3, Niacin and Folate which plays an important role in the brain development. Almonds balances your cholesterol levels. almonds have a very low glycemic index and good for diabetics. See all 13 super health benefits of almonds.
What's the problem?
1. Sugar : Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. It requires a slow and deliberate attempt to do it. Find hidden sugar in packaged foods and drinks and stop having those products. Did you know that a can of your favourite soft drink is estimated to have 1/2 cup of sugar. Refinded carbohydrates like maida, sugar, bread, pasta, noodles and sugar on consumption get stored as unhealthy fat in the body.
Protein in Basundi
Note that Basundi has 10 grams of Protein which is from good quality full fat milk. If you are on a weight loss program, then stay away.
Can Diabetics, heart and weight loss individuals have Basundi ?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. This recipe of Basundi does use sugar. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. Basundi does have lots of full fat milk which not good diabetics as this will lead to weight gain. Weight gain will lead to slower fat burning which is not what we want.
What is a healthier Indian dessert option ?
We suggest you try low fat gajjar halwa recipe which uses dates as a sweetener and low fat milk which works well for diabetics. Make oats and mixed nuts ladoo recipe which is sweetened by jaggery or oats dates and kheer.
Oats and Dates Kheer, Healthy Indian Dessert Without Sugar
Try a jowar based Indian dessert which is s a complex carb and will be absorbed slowly in the blood stream and not cause a spike in insulin. The jowar apple sheera recipe is made with the addition of cows milk and apples and sweetened with honey.
Jowar Apple Sheera, Healthy Indian Sweet
Can healthy individuals have Basundi ?
No, this recipe is not healthy as it has too much sugar.
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover.
Basundi is high in
1. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
2. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 336 calories that come from Basundi?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1 hr 41 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 34 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 45 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 58 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.