Healthy Senior Citizen Indian Recipes, Veg Elderly People Recipes
senior citizen recipes. healthy Indian senior citizen recipes. Ageing does manifest with time and we all age gradually over the years. As we pass 60 years, our body undergoes certain changes which includes structural and hormonal both. What more naturally comes with it is also slow metabolism, a drop in appetite, decreased digestive health and oral problems along with a few common health problems like hypertension, heart disease, diabetes and osteoporosis (especially in women) by some.
It becomes important for them to concentrate on their health to avoid chronic diseases in near future. Nutrient dense meals which are easy to chew and swallow as well as easy to digest should be the main focus of their diet..
12 ways for Senior Citizens to eat healthy and stay young
1) Pick up fruits and vegetables. Choose from the high fiber and antioxidant rich range like broccoli, carrots, orange, amla, grapefruit and limit the addition of starchy foods such as potato, sweet potato, yam etc. Turn to soups and salads like Broccoli Soup and Chatpata Chawli and Fruit Salad
Chatpata Chawli and Fruit Salad
2) Stay hydrated by consuming at least 2 litres of water each day. Dehydration causes dizziness, tiredness and constipation.
3) Boost your power with proteins. Dals and pulses cooked with minimal fat and khichdi is one of the healthy vegan pick. Eggs for vegetarians is a good option. Some good dal options are methi toovar dal recipe and palak chana dal recipe.
Methi Toovar Dal, Healthy Recipe
4) Do not miss out on that crucial calcium consumption daily is a must especially for women with osteoporosis. Include dairy products like curds, paneer, butter milk along with a ragi flour, broccoli and greens.
For those who are obese, can try low fat dairy products. Try our high calcium recipes like Date and Apple Shake and Rajasthani Pakoda Kadhi.
Date and Apple Shake
5) Swap refined foods like maida and semolina with healthy whole grains like jowar, oats, quinoa, barley and bajra.
6) Munch on nuts and oilseeds which are rich in Omega 3 fats such as walnuts, almonds, flaxseeds etc. Try some healthy options like Walnut Sheera, Flaxseeds Dry Chutney or homemade almond butter recipe.
Homemade Almond Butter, for Weight Loss and Athletes
7) Shun that extra spice from the meal. It can irritate the gut.
8) Fun up your daily meals with fresh herbs like mint leaves, coriander, parsley etc. This will help to make meals pleasing and increase appetite.
9) Dodge out from shopping salty and processed foods such as packaged soups, ready to fry foods such as French fries, tikkis, etc. as they contain high sodium content and can increase risk for hypertension and cardiovascular diseases.
10) Restrict the consumption of fried foods and sweets to not more than a fortnight in limited quantities.
11) Medications may cause change in taste and can lead to decreased appetite and gastric problems. Therefore they can consume easy to digest foods such as oats porridge, cooked vegetables, rice, dals. Bajra Khichdi, Dahiwali Toovar Dal and Strawberry Yoghurt
Bajra Khichdi ( Protein and Iron Rich Recipe)
12) Find a fitness friend and exercise daily for at least 45 minutes. Weight training is crucial right through your life as it will strenghten the body and prevent those easy bone breaks which happen later in life. Run, Brisk walking or yoga can be done. Exercise becomes even more important as with increased age, metabolism slows down and less calories are burnt.
Enjoy our senior citizen recipes. healthy senior citizen recipes and other senior citizen articles below.
Senior Citizen Easy to Chew
Senior Citizen Easy to Swallow
Senior Citizen Healthy Heart, Low Cholesterol
Senior Citizen Indian
Senior Citizen Iron Rich
Senior Citizen Osteoporosis Calcium Rich
Senior Citizen Quick
Senior Citizen Rice
Senior Citizen Soup
Senior Citizen Vegetable
Senior Citizen Weight Loss
Senior Citizens Diabetes