How many calories does one serving of Whole Wheat Roti Chivda have?
One serving of Whole Wheat Roti Chivda gives 269 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 173 calories, proteins account for 28 calorie and remaining calories come from fat which is 16 calories. One serving of Whole Wheat Roti Chivda provides about 13 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Click here to view Whole Wheat Roti Chivda recipe. Whole Wheat Roti Chivda is a light and tasty snack, which can be made with fresh or leftover rotis. The rotis are shredded and sautéed with a tempering of cumin seeds and other tasty ingredients like onions, green chillies and garlic. A dash of lemon juice and a garnish of finely chopped coriander leaves imparts a fresh flavour to the chivda making it a delight to munch on
Is Whole Wheat Roti Chivda healthy?
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Whole Wheat flour : Whole wheat flour is excellent for diabetics as they will not shoot up your blood sugar levels as they are a low GI food. Whole wheat flour is rich in Phosphorus which is a major mineral which works closely with calcium to build our bones. Vitamin B9 helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially increase red blood cells. See detailed 11 benefits of whole wheat flour and why it's good for you.
2. Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin in Onions promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
3. Coriander (kothmir, dhania) : The antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C and the quercetin present in coriander works towards strengthening our immune system. Coriander is a fairly good source of iron and folate – the 2 nutrient which help in the production and maintenance of red blood cells in our blood. Good for reducing cholesterol and good for diabetics. Read 9 benefits of coriander to understand details.
4. Lemon, Lemon Juice : Lemon is a very good source of Vitamin C and thus helps in the production of white blood cells and antibodies in the blood which attacks invading microorganisms, prevents infection and builds immunity. Therefore, Lemon juice is given to prevent common cold. The ascorbic acid in lemon juice helps in absorption of iron from the food. So if you’re iron deficient or have anaemia squeeze a lemon on iron rich recipes. See detailed benefits of lemon, lemon juice.
What's the problem?
1. Vegetable Oils : To some vegetable oil is only soyabean oil, while some promote it as a mix of oils like soyabean, canola, sunflower, corn and other omega-6 rich oils. These are often cheaper options than many oils, but they are highly processed oils. They are undoubtedly not to be reached out for, whether you are looking for salad dressings, sautéing or cooking. The 5 best oils used in cooking are olive oil (low temperature short time cooking), avocado oil, canola oil, coconut oil and peanut oil. You must read the super article to find the facts of which oil is the healthiest avoid vegetable oil.
2. Sugar : Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. It requires a slow and deliberate attempt to do it. Find hidden sugar in packaged foods and drinks and stop having those products. Did you know that a can of your favourite soft drink is estimated to have 1/2 cup of sugar. Refinded carbohydrates like maida, sugar, bread, pasta, noodles and sugar on consumption get stored as unhealthy fat in the body.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Whole Wheat Roti Chivda?
No for diabetics and yes for heart and weight loss. Suggest to have in limited quantity. Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. It requires a slow and deliberate attempt to do it.
Can healthy individuals have Whole Wheat Roti Chivda?
Yes, as there is very little sugar used. Change vegetable oil to Peanut oil which has the highest amount of MUFA (around 49%) amongst all the other remaining common cooking oils. The remaining 51% is PUFA and SFA. Most households in western Indian use peanut oil as a cooking medium.
Whole Wheat Roti Chivda is high in
1. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
2. Fiber : Dietary fiber reduce the risk of heart disease, prevent the spike in blood sugar levels and hence super for diabetics. Consume more fruits, vegetables, moong, oats, matki, whole grains.
3. Magnesium : Magnesium is required for formation of bones and teeth. helps in the metabolism of calcium and potassium.
4. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
5. Vitamin B3 (niacin) : Vitamin B3 helps in brain funtioning and mental health. Also healthy skin formation.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 269 calories that come from one serving of Whole Wheat Roti Chivda?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1 hr 21 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 27 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 36 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 46 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual