How many calories does one serving of Sabudana Khichdi have?
One serving of Sabudana Khichdi gives 655 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 344 calories, proteins account for 39 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 288 calories. One serving of Sabudana Khichdi provides about 33 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Sabudana Khichdi recipe. Sabudana Khichdi | maharashtrian sabudana khichdi | sago khichdi | with 26 amazing images.
Sabudana Khichdi is a Maharashtrian dish made with sabudana, potatoes and peanuts. Sabudana Khichdiis a perfect food for those on a fast or vrat and it is also made in many household as breakfast.
Popular during fasts, it's also well known as Sabudana Khichdi faraal food . It is mostly had during fasting days like Navratri, Ekadashi and Mahashivratri. It also falls under the category of Maharashtrian street food.
The chewy texture and starchy taste of sabudana is so beautifully complemented by the nutty flavour of coarsely powdered peanuts, and balanced by the tangy lemon juice, making this sago khichdi soothing to the taste-buds, yet very tempting too.
For a complete faraali meal serve the Sabudana Khichdi along with homemade curd, Rajgira Paneer Paratha, Peanut Kadhi and Shakarkand Ka Halwa.
Is Sabudana Khichdi healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Peanuts : Peanuts contain Vitamin B1, Thiamine which helps form ATP (Adenosine triphosphate) which body uses for energy. A handful of peanuts gives you 7.3 grams of Protein. Peanuts, Almonds, Walnuts and Cashews are rich in Protein and healthy monounsaturated fats which won’t spike your blood sugar levels and good for a diabetic snack and healthy heart snack. Eating a handful of Peanuts a day is said to increase the good cholesterol (HDL) in your body which is good for heart health. Read 11 amazing benefits of peanuts.
2. Coriander (kothmir, dhania) : The antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C and the quercetin present in coriander works towards strengthening our immune system. Coriander is a fairly good source of iron and folate – the 2 nutrient which help in the production and maintenance of red blood cells in our blood. Good for reducing cholesterol and good for diabetics. Read 9 benefits of coriander to understand details.
What's the problem?
1. Sabudana, Sago : Sago is a super energy and carb loaded grain. Eating such high carbs at any meal, be it snack or lunch or dinner, is not considered to be healthy. Excess calories and carbs might lead to weight gain easily. Sago isn’t a very healthy choice for diabetics, as it might raise the blood sugar levels instantly. For details read is sago healthy.
2. Potatoes (Aloo) : Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity. Potatoes are recommended for malnourished children and people with low weight. See full details on why potatoes are bad for you.
3. Sugar : Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. It requires a slow and deliberate attempt to do it. Find hidden sugar in packaged foods and drinks and stop having those products. Did you know that a can of your favourite soft drink is estimated to have 1/2 cup of sugar. Refinded carbohydrates like maida, sugar, bread, pasta, noodles and sugar on consumption get stored as unhealthy fat in the body.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Sabudana Khichdi?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. Sago is a super energy and carb loaded grain. Eating such high carbs at any meal, be it snack or lunch or dinner, is not considered to be healthy. Excess calories and carbs might lead to weight gain easily. Sago isn’t a very healthy choice for diabetics, as it might raise the blood sugar levels instantly.
Here are some Healthy snack options
You can have Baked Samosa with mixed sprouts, Matarsutir Kachori, Oats Moong Dal Tikki, Baked methi muthia recipe, Zunka recipe, moong dal dhokla recipe, bajra carrot onion uttapam recipe , baked palak jowar murukku, mini jowar pancakes or buckwheat pancake as one healthy recipe option.
Baked Methi Muthias
Can healthy individuals have Sabudana Khichdi?
Sabudana Khichdi is high in
1. Folic Acid : Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy.
2. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
3. Vitamin B3 (niacin) : Vitamin B3 helps in brain funtioning and mental health. Also healthy skin formation.
4. Magnesium : Magnesium is required for formation of bones and teeth. helps in the metabolism of calcium and potassium.
5. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
6. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 655 calories that come from one serving of Sabudana Khichdi?
Walking (6 kmph) = 3 hrs 17 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 1 hr 6 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 1 hr 27 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 1 hr 52 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual