Clean and wash the blueberries and place them on a chopping board. Now, chop the berries horizontally and vertically, into fine or larger pieces depending on the recipe requirements.
• Blueberries can be made into purees or juices.
• It is most popular as a jam made with blueberries and fruit pectin.
• Apart from this, blueberry is used in pies, cakes, muffins, jams and jellies.
• Blueberry syrup makes a delicious dessert topping!
How to store blueberry, blueberries
• Since it is highly perishable, consume as soon as possible.
• If not, you can refrigerate it in a rigid container. Do not wash it before storing because water on the surface hastens deterioration.
• Under refrigerated conditions, blueberries can last up to two weeks.
• There are also methods to freeze individual blueberries for preservation. Never wash the blueberries before freezing as the water will harden the berry’s skin.
• Frozen blueberries last for close to a year. After thawing, they are only slightly less bright and juicy as compared to the original harvest state.
• It can also be canned or dried.
8 Health benefits of blueberry, blueberries
1. Powerful Antioxidant : Blueberries have great antioxidant value, especially anthocyanins, which help to fight cancer and degeneration of cells. 2. Good for Skin : The antioxidants also help to fight harmful free radicals and reduce wrinkles on your skin. 3. Laxative : It is also used as a laxative and relieves intestinal troubles. 4. Makes you Younger : As it fights the free radicals and toxins in the body, they slow down the ageing process. 5. Low in Calories : Excellent for those on a weight loss diet. 6. Good for Diabetics : Since Blueberries are low in calories and high in fibre, they work well for Diabetics. 7. Rich in Vitamin C : One cup provides 25% of RDA. 8. Rich in Fiber : Being rich in fibre they aid weight loss. You can choose between fresh and frozen blueberries.