Last Updated : Jan 09,2021
Viewed 40730 times
Also Known As
Kala Jamun, Jambol, Java Plum.
What is black jamun, kala jamun?
The fruit Black Jamun are ovoid shaped edible berries, which start green & turn crimson or purplish black when mature, having 1 seed each. It develops by May to July. It tastes a combination of sweet, sour & astringent flavor. On savoring it tends to color the tongue purple leaving a grainy after effect. It comprises glucose and fructose as principal sugars, which impart the sweet taste on ripening.
Chopped black jamun
To chop black jamun firstly, do not select a over ripened jamun fruit. Wash them well with water, drain and deseed each jamun fruit by carefully slitting on one side of the jamun and pulling out the seed and discarding it. Then make vertical slits on each jamun using a sharp knife. Line all the vertical pieces together and chop horizontally at regular intervals to get chopped black jamun. You can chop them finely or roughly as per recipe requirements.
How To Select black jamun, kala jamun
Ripened Black Jamun are harvested daily by hand picking or by shaking the branches, usually collected on polythene sheets. While buying, screen out the blemished or bruised fruits as there no standard practice of grading and packaging the fruit available in local markets. Choose the full bloomed soft, pulpy, dark purple ones. Avoid buying the shrink and, very hard textured or the under riped ones. Those fruits, which are packed in leaf cups, covered with perforated polythene or net bags have only little damage.
Culinary uses of black jamun, kala jamun in Indian cooking
smoothies and drinks using black jamun
1. black jamun apple drink | black jamun juice | A filling and tasty drink made with an unusual combination of ingredients, the Black Jamun Apple Drink is a must-try recipe in the summer, when black jamun is in season.
This unique drink is not strained, nor is any extra sodium introduced into it, as we have not used any chaat masala or black salt. This makes the juice complete healthy.
It has a very nice flavour as the apple naturally balances the flavour of the jamun, ensuring that the taste is not overwhelmingly strong. Loaded with fibre and vitamin C, this thick and satiating drink can be enjoyed in between meals as a healthy snack.
2. Jamun Smoothie | Diabetes-friendly jamun blends with low-fat curds to make a delectable smoothie. Jambolene, the enzyme found in jamun, helps to utilize the glucose in the body thereby inhibiting the unwanted rise in the blood glucose levels.
· Mouth watering black jamun raitha can be made as an accompaniment with pulao. Mix chopped and deseeded Jamun with freshly beaten yogurt. Add chopped coriander and powdered cumin seeds with salt to taste. Serve chilled.
· Jamun pulp is used in preparing sauces and fermented beverages. The alcoholic ones include vinegar, cider and wine.
· Jamun juice can be processed into non fermented ready to serve beverages, squashes, syrups and Jamun flavored ice cream.
· Good quality jelly (due to presence of Resin compound) & flavored sweets can also be made.
· Jamun seeds are powdered and sold to cure diabetes.
How To Store black jamun, kala jamun
Jamun fruits are highly perishable& can be stored not more than 2 days at room temperature. Hence it is advisable to pack them in perforated polythene or net bags and then store under refrigeration. This will last fruit freshness up to around 2 weeks.
Health Benefits of black jamun, kala jamun Black jamun is said to be a boon for diabetics as the enzyme 'jamboline' in it helps to control the blood sugar levels. With good levels of vitamin C, it is known to improve skin and eye health. It is a great immun-booster too. Not being very in high calories, it can be consumed by obese people aiming weight loss. The flavonoids in black jamun may exhibit potent anti-cancer properties.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.