Viewed 35175 times
Also Known as
Split black lentils
Split urad dal retains the skins and also has a strong flavor. Skinned and split urad dal are creamy white and somewhat bland.
The dal is boiled and has an unusual mucilaginous texture. Ground into flour or paste, it is also extensively used in culinary preparation like dosa, idli, vada, and papad. When used this way, the white lentils are usually used. The white lentils are called "ulundhu" in Tamil. It has creamy white interiors, used in cooking across South Asia.
How to Select
Soaked urad dal
wash the ural dal after cleaning it off the stones or pebbles. Soak the urad dal in water overnight. The soaked dal can be ground into a fine or coarse paste as per recipe requirement or boiled further.
It is easily available in the grocery as urad dal. It is available prepackaged as well as in bulk containers. If purchasing in a packaged container, check to see if there is a "use-by" date on the package. Just as with any other food that you may purchase in the bulk section, make sure that the bins containing the rice are covered and that the store has a good product turnover so as to ensure its maximal freshness. Whether purchasing urad dal in bulk or in a packaged container, make sure that there is no evidence of moisture. Culinary Uses
· Urad dal is used on a daily basis in South Indian houses to make batters for idlis and dosas and is also an important ingredient in tempering for most South Indian dishes.
· This tastes delicious when cooked dry with fried garlic/onion.
· People also prepare "Vadas" out of it by soaking the dal in water for 8 hours and then grinding it to a paste and then deep fry making the Vadas in circle/ round / or "D" shape and eat with Dahi or curd.
· Also the Vadas with a circle and a hole in between is prepared specially in south India and eaten with "Sambhar" i.e. "Sambhar Vadas".
· It is used for preparing varieties of dosas, idlis, also vada. it acts as a binding stuff for rice & also it gives crispiness.
· Extremely nutritious and very easy to prepare, you need just onion, tomatoes fresh veggies and tomatoes.
· Dosa made with white urad dal practically peel them off the pan when cooked, and have a satisfying bread-like flavour.How to Store
Clean the urad dal and remove the stones or any dirt particle. It can be stored indefinitely in an airtight container in a cool, dry location. Cooked urad dal should be stored in the refrigerator and can be used for up to 3 or 4 days.Health Benefits
· It provides many of the nutrients your body needs, such as protein, fat, and carbohydrates. These foods serve as the best plant source of protein.
· This legume contains building blocks of protein necessary for good health.
· The iron, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and B vitamins in these foods help meet vitamin and mineral requirements.