Also known as
Mung, Moong beans, Mung beans, Mag
Mung bean, is the seed of Vigna radiata which is native to India. The green gram beans are small, ovoid in shape, and green in color. They are generally eaten either whole (with or without skins) or as bean sprouts, or used to make the dessert "green bean soup". The starch of mung beans is also extracted from them to make jellies and "transparent/cellophane" noodles
Parboiling is a cooking technique in which soaked moong are partially cooked in boiling water, but removed before it is cooked all the way through. Many recipes call for parboiled moong as they longer to cook. Parboiling them in advances ensures that they get completely cooked in the final dish.
How to select
Boiled moong dal -As the name suggests refers to the green grams which are boiled.
You can use two cups of water per cup of lentils. These proportions are based on cooking with the pot cover on. This way, it will cook a little faster, use less energy, and perhaps retain more vitamins. Pressure cook the soaked green gram with or without salt in boiling water and boil for 10-15 minutes to get boiled moong. Bring the concoction to a boil, then turn the down the flame to medium-low. If it gets too thick, add more water. The beans are cooked when they burst and the water turns syrupy. At this point , you may add spices, vegetables or even boiled rice as per your preference and recipe requirements.
Check the pre packaged whole green gram for their expiry date. They should be dust free and without stones and other debris.Culinary uses
· Whole mung beans are generally prepared from dried beans by boiling until they are soft.They are then cooked as any other dal is cooked.
· In Vietnam, the transparent wrapping of Vietnamese spring rolls is made from mung bean flour. In Filipino cuisine, meat is sauteed with garlic, onions, and bay leaves, then mung beans are added and cooked. Mung batter is used to make crepes named Pesarattu in Andhra Pradesh, India.
· In Indonesia, they are made into a popular dessert snack which has the consistency of porridge. The beans are cooked with sugar, coconut milk, and a little ginger.
· A sweet preparation called green gram payasam is prepared in Tamil Nadu with bananas and milk.
· Whole moong dal can be soaked in water and the paste used to prepare moon dal dosa or uttappams.
· Whole moong can be sprouted and used in varied preparations ranging from salads, soups and stir fry.How to store
Store split green gram in an air tight container.Health Benefits
· Split green gram like other lentils and pulses are good source of protein and dietary fibre.
· They are low in fat and rich in B complex vitamins, calcium and potassium.