low fat milk
Also Known As
Light Milk, 1 % fat milk, Toned Milk, Skim milk
During the processing of whole milk, low fat milk is separated out by the process of centrifugation. Low fat milk contains just 1-2 % of fats as compared to Skim milk, which contains less than 0.5 % of fats. During the process of centrifugation, milk fat is efficiently removed in a cream separator, leaving behind low fat milk. The fat is then used to make cream, butter and other products or it may be added to the skimmed milk to increase fat percentage. Low fat milk looks same like whole milk, opaque white colored, but the consistency is thinner than whole milk, due to removal of fat globules. There is only minimal difference in taste.
Low- Fat Milk can be made at home, by removing the cream thrice from the whole milk.
1. Let the boiled milk stay for around 2 hours at room temperature. Remove the cream layer with a big flat spoon.
2. Now refrigerate this milk for more than 5-6 hours. Now a thick layer of cream will be formed. Again remove it.
3. Reboil the milk once again and refrigerate overnight. Next day morning, remove the third cream layer formed.
4. The resulting milk contains only around 1-2 % fats and is known as Low-fat milk.
How to Select
You can get it in dairy shops or food malls. Indian companies like Amul, Nestle (Slim Milk), Reliance Fresh, etc provides low fat milk in of tetra packs. Its shelf life is up to 120 days without refrigeration as it is processed with ultrahigh treatment. Low fat milk, once opened needs to be refrigerated. Its shelf life is longer than the whole milk, due to removal of fats from it.
Low fat milk is used in making a variety of dishes or even drinks.
· Try making tasty Low fat thick Choco milkshake, by just blending together low fat milk,coco powder, drinking chocolate, powdered marie biscuits and little Bourvita powder with 3-4 cubes of Ice. Serve chilled with grated chocolate bar.
· Many low cal fruit milkshakes can be made using the desired fruit with low fat milk.
· Low fat Yogurt can be prepared by adding a spoon of yogurt to slightly warm low fat milk and stirring once gently. The resulting yogurt can be used to make raitas, on salad as a dressing, or making a Low Cal fruit Shrikhand.
· Low fat milk can also be used to make cakes, puddings, muffins,etc.
How to Store
If you buy a processed tetra pack, you can store it up to 3 months unopened, due to ultra high treatment and removal of fats. Once opened you can use the milk without boiling it. Store it in its container or empty into a vessel, well lidded under refrigeration temperature.
Low fat milk is a healthier choice for you and your family, simply because it contains all the essentials present in milk , but the fats is in restricted amounts. Since it is low in calories, Low-fat milk can be consumed by every body, specially the diabetics, heart patients as well as overweight people.
· Reducing the amount of fats in diet helps to control weight and get rid of all the weight related problems.
· Consumption of low-fat milk helps restrict the percentage of fat intake considerably, mainly the saturated fats present in whole milk. This helps regulate blood cholesterol levels and thus decrease in the chances of heart disease.
· The proteins present in low fat milk are untouched during its processing, hence it is considered as a high biological value protein source.
· Presence of good amount of Calcium and Vitamin D help in building and maintenance of bones and teeth.