Also Known As
Bicarbonate of soda, Sodium Bicarbonate, NaHCO3
A white powder with crystalline grains, baking soda is a leavening agent. Its main purpose is to break down proteins and neutralise acids. Thus, it aids in leavening and tenderising.
How to select
Select from known brands. Check the manufacturing date, expiry date and the packaging before purchasing.
· Baking soda is a natural tenderiser. Thus, it can be added to soaked beans etc before pressure cooking. Baking soda quickens the cooking process.
· It can be added to meats while marinated and then washed off before cooking. It helps in tenderising meats also.
· As a leavening agent, it is used in baking. Baked recipes leavened using baking soda usually have a lighter crumb and show signs of aeration (in form of tiny holes) left behind because of carbon dioxide escape.
· A pinch of soda added to tomato sauce while cooking helps reduce acidity.
· It is added in Gujarati snacks like dhokla, muthia etc.
How to store
Store in an air tight container in a cool and dry place.
· Since it is an acid neutraliser, it is used in various first aid applications. It can soothe discomforts arising from sunburns.
· Bee stings can be eased using a baking soda and cold water paste.